This article was originally published on 28th February 2019 and has been updated for accuracy and comprehensiveness.
Residensi Wilayah (formerly known as RUMAWIP) is one of the initiatives by the government to help Malaysians to own their first property.
RUMAWIP which is also sometimes referred to as “ruma wip” is an affordable housing programme by the government to help lower and middle-income groups to be a first-time homebuyer.
As many as 80,000 units of Residensi Wilayah are planned to be built in the Federal Territories within the 10-year period from 2019 to 2028, according to its official website.
For many first-time home buyers, this is a golden chance for you to look and shop around for your first home sweet home.
If you have no idea where to start or what RUMAWIP is all about, we have listed down all the necessary information as your guideline.
9 things you should know about RUMAWIP
1) What are the criteria for Residensi Wilayah (RUMAWIP) applicants?
- RUMAWIP applicants must be a Malaysian citizen of at least 21 years old.
- Were born; work; or live in any Federal Territories upon the application.
- The household gross income (including salaries, commissions and other allowances) for individual applicants (single) must not exceed RM10,000 per month. For joint applicants of husband and wife, the combined gross income must not exceed RM15,000 per month.
- Retirees are allowed to apply, subject to terms and conditions.
- Must not own a house in any Federal Territories upon the application. Homeownership by inheritance, however, is allowed.
As stated, the household gross income for individual applicants (single) must not exceed RM10,000 per month while married couples must have a total income of no more than RM15,000 per month.
The husband or wife may apply for Residensi Wilayah. Nonetheless, only one offer will be given to each household.
3) How many affordable housing categories are offered by Residensi Wilayah (RUMAWIP)
Residensi Wilayah (RUMAWIP) offers three categories of affordable housing:
- Studio or one-bedroom;
- Two-bedroom; and
- Three-bedroom condominiums/apartments with strata title ownership.
If you think you know everything there is to know about the strata title, you may be surprised to find out that there is a lot more to strata titles.
4) What are the property types and prices for Residensi Wilayah?
The Residensi Wilayah programme offers stratified houses that come in various built-ups and prices to suit all the income brackets.
Below are the 3 types of properties that home buyers can look to purchase with the Residensi Wilayah program:
- Built-up: 700 sq ft
- Price: RM63, 000 (KL and Putrajaya), RM52, 000 (Labuan)
Medium low-priced house
- Built-up: 800 sq ft
- Price: RM63, 001 – RM150, 000
- Built-up: 650 sq ft
- Price: RM150, 001-RM300,000
Residensi Wilayah (previously known as RUMAWIP) Locations
Residensi Wilayah developments are strategically located by design. Most of them are close to public transportation, and are located in populous areas.
For example, there is the Rumawip KL, Rumawip in Cheras, Rumawip in Wangsa Maju, and Rumawip in Bukit Bintang. These areas are not only within matured neighbourhoods, but are also within proximity of the Kuala Lumpur city centre.
- Residensi Akasia Jubilee, Bukit Bintang
- Residensi Pitta, Cheras
- Residensi Laman Segar Hijau (LSH Segar), Cheras
- Residensi J Satin, Wangsa Maju
5) Are the Residensi Wilayah units selling below the market price?
Residensi Wilayah units sell below the market price. The RM300,000 units have three bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen, living room, dining room, yard and parking space.
On top of that, they offer facilities like swimming pool, gymnasium and playground. As these units are built at strategic layouts with easy accessibility, it helps the low- and middle-income people to have a comfortable life.
6) Do I need to get my deposit ready?
Applicants who have successfully obtained a Residensi Wilayah unit are required to pay to the developer a 10% deposit of the total unit price. Then, they will proceed on to the next step, which is the signing of the Sale and Purchase Agreement (SPA).
This programme does not provide any funding aid. Thus, the applicants are free to choose their home financing options. Not just that, you don’t need to pay a booking fee!
7) Can the developer collect booking fees before the signing of the SPA?
No form of money can be collected by the developer from the applicant before the signing of the Sale and Purchase Agreement as it contravenes the Housing Development (Control And Licensing) Regulations 1989.
To lodge a complaint regarding this, visit the National Housing Department Integrated Complaint System today.
8) Can I cancel the application of Residensi Wilayah and choose another project?
If the status of the application is “Tidak Lengkap” or “Lengkap”, the applicant is allowed to terminate his/her application to choose another project. Please click the “supporting document” in the dashboard and select “cancel application”.
If the status of the application is “Semakan Urus Setia” or “Layak Ditawar”, the applicant has to submit an email with the reason for the cancellation to [email protected], altogether with the details as follows:
- Full name
- Project name
- Reason for cancellation
If the applicant has received the offer letter, he/she is required to liaise with the Residensi Wilayah project developer to cancel the application.
9) Can I sell and/or rent out my Residensi Wilayah (RUMAWIP) unit?
The Federal Territory Ministry gives RUMAWIP owners the flexibility to rent out their properties to a third party but, on a certain term. You can rent out your units to local tenants ONLY.
On the other hand, a 10-year moratorium will be imposed from the date the Sale and Purchase Agreement is signed.
During the 10-year moratorium period, the purchased house cannot be transferred or sold to a new owner without the government’s permission, unless to the closest family members or heirs like spouses or children ONLY.
If you are eligible for Residensi Wilayah, do apply for your dream home as soon as possible. Start your registration today as this could be the chance for you to own your first home at an affordable price! Also, check out the studio or one-bedroom, two-bedroom, and three-bedroom properties that are within the range of RM300,000 for your next property investment!
TOP ARTICLES JUST FOR YOU:
💰 What’s the average Malaysian household income to afford a home in Klang Valley?
🏡 Family homes under RM500K near LRT stations.