Even the cleanest of kitchens will look dirty if the stove top is covered in last night’s dinner – and the build-up grime will also reduce the functionality of your cooking elements.
To keep your glass or stainless-steel stove tops glossy, it’s best to give the surface a wipe over after use.
However, if you’ve had a food explosion or have really neglected your stove top for a while, follow these easy steps to clean your stove top like a pro and restore the shine!
Let’s get started!
1. Make sure the stove top is cool before starting. With a paper towel, wipe over the stove top to remove as much of the loose debris and liquid as possible.
2. Soak 3-4 old rags or tea towels in a bucket filled with warm water that’s mixed with household washing detergent.
3. While your rags are soaking, sprinkle some bicarb soda across the stove top, making sure you cover the entire surface with a thick layer. Be careful not to get any of the product inside the raised heating elements.
4. Take the soaked rags out of the bucket and ring halfway so they still retain plenty of wetness. Lay each rag across the stove top to cover the entire area. Gently push down on the towels, allowing the liquid to form a paste with the bicarb underneath. Make sure you apply pressure around the elements to really work the area.
5. Now, let the dishwashing liquid and bicarb soda do all the work – while you take a 15-minute break! If your stove top is in poor condition, consider leaving it for 30 minutes.
6. Remove the rags to see a thick white paste that has loosened the debris. Take one of the rags and, from the top right side of the stove top, work in an ‘S’ pattern to remove all the product from the stove top. You may need to repeat this a few times to get the area totally cleared.
7. Using the soft side of a sponge, give the surface a wipe over so it’s clear of any excess moisture or debris.
8. Finally, give the surface a polish with a microfibre cloth to bring up the shine. For a stainless-steel surface, apply a dab of vinegar to the cloth to achieve a glossy, reflective finish.
With your stove top looking clean and sparkling bright, you’ll be inspired to create your next cuisine masterpiece. Enjoy!