KUALA LUMPUR, March 22— A total of 31,723 applications from foreign nationals from 126 countries to participate in the Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) had been approved from 2002 until last year.
Tourism and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Mohamed Nazri Abdul Aziz said China recorded the most number of applicants with 7,976 followed by Japan (4,127), Bangladesh (3,399) and United Kingdom (2,361).
“In addition, there were 1,331 applications by Iranians, Singapore (1,258), Taiwan (1,175), South Korea (1,174), Pakistan (958), India (861) and other nations (7,103),” he said at the Dewan Rakyat Session, today.
Mohamed Nazri was replying to Loke Siew Fook (DAP-Seremban) who wanted to know the number of people staying in Malaysia via the MM2H according to their original country and the benefits from the programme.
He said the MM2H programme had contributed an estimated RM2.9 billion to the national economy last year through MM2H from the collection of visa fee, the opening of fixed deposits and purchase of residential properties.