Iskandar Malaysia records RM187.96 billion in cumulative committed investments


Iskandar Malaysia records RM187.96 billion in cumulative committed investments

PUTRAJAYA, Dec 14 — Iskandar Malaysia, the main southern development corridor in Johor, recorded RM187.96 billion in total cumulative committed investments from 2006 until November 2015, according to the Iskandar Regional Development Authority (IRDA).

Of the total amount, RM93.39 billion represents investments that have been realised as projects on the ground, IRDA said in a statement issued after the members of IRDA meeting chaired by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak here Monday.

IRDA, which is mandated to plan, promote and facilitate the Iskandar Malaysia development said Iskandar Malaysia secured RM29.83 billion in investments from January until November this year.

It said domestic investments made up RM111.82 billion or 59% of the total cumulative committed investments, while the remaining RM76.14 billion or 41% was contributed by foreign investments.

“Among promoted sectors, the manufacturing sector registered the highest cumulative committed investments at RM52.10 billion. The investments came from electrical and electronics, petrochemical and oleochemical, and agro and food processing sectors,” the statement said.

These were followed by logistics (RM5.70 billion), tourism (RM3.10 billion), health care (RM2.77 billion), education (RM2.06 billion), consulting services and financial advisory (RM0.74 billion), and creative industry (RM0.56 billion).

Other sectors that support Iskandar Malaysia growth were the residential segment, retail and industrial segments which collectively contributed to cumulative investment of RM96.13 billion as at Nov 20, followed by utilities (RM12.96 billion), government investments focusing on infrastructure and public works (RM8.99 billion), and latest technologies (RM2.85 billion).


Sign up and stay updated
Get the latest property news, home solution tips, interior design ideas and property guides.
By subscribing, you consent to receive direct marketing from Malaysia Sdn Bhd (iProperty), its group of companies and partners. You also accept iProperty’s Terms of Use and Privacy Policy including its collection, use, disclosure, processing, storage and handling of your personal information.