KUALA LUMPUR, December 7 — The government has allocated RM20 million to revive abandoned private sector low and medium cost housing projects next year.
Deputy Urban Well-being, Housing and Local Government Minister Datuk Halimah Mohamed Sadique said the allocation would be given to developers to rescue abandoned projects which were not completed on time.
“The RM20 million allocation for next year is given to benefit the buyers and not developers,” she told reporters at the Parliament lobby, today.
She said the buyers were still servicing their bank loans although the projects were abandoned.
She also urged house buyers to check on the status of the companies carrying out housing development projects first on the ministry’s website to avoid problems.
“The ministry has displayed the names of all the black-listed companies including the members of the board of directors on the ministry’s website,” she said.
Yesterday, in Dewan Negara, Halimah said 134 abandoned private sector housing projects were recorded in peninsula Malaysia from 2013 to last month.
She said the figure included 26 projects which were abandoned this year.