KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 12 — The Ministry of Transport (MoT) is currently in the process of evaluating the proposal submitted by a consortium of Chinese companies for the Gemas-Johor Baharu electrified double-tracking project.
In a statement Saturday, the MoT clarified an earlier report by BERNAMA that said the project will be awarded to China Railway.
MoT said a letter of intent was issued upon approval from the Ministry of Finance to a consortium of Chinese companies which comprises China Railway Construction Corporation Ltd, China Communications Construction Company Ltd and China Railway Engineering Corporation.
“The consortium was given two months to submit a tender proposal which ended on Nov 30, 2015. The MoT is currently in the process of evaluating the proposal submitted,” said the ministry.
MoT said it would make the necessary announcement once a decision had been made.
The installation of the Gemas-Johor Baharu electrified double-tracking project, starting next year, is expected to cost RM7.13 billion.
The 197-km track provides capacity for trains to hit 160km per hour, with an operating speed limit of 140km per hour.