In the spirit of starting anew, incorporate these home practices to make it an efficient, safe, and comfortable space.
Here are 5 New Year’s resolutions that will help elevate your home in 2018.
1. Reduce your bills
The cost of living is rising every year, tackle the issue by taking steps to lower your monthly utility bills and increase your savings. Consider the following tips that will help shrink your bills:
- Be conservative with your air conditioning usage and settings. Always use the timer and economy setting.
- Do regular maintenance checks on your electronics. Inefficient machines take up more energy. For instance, clear your AC air vents and filters to allow for a cleaner and smoother running equipment.
- Consider using only your ceiling fans or portable fans in cool weather conditions. A little airflow can go a long way, but also remember to turn them off when you’re away.
- Shorten your laundry cycles – this will save both energy and water usage. It’s also best to wait until you have a full load before doing laundry.
- Make it a point to buy energy-efficient appliances. New-gen appliances now come with energy-saving options so spend a little more upfront to save in the long run.
2. Put safety first
You may have a trendy and chic looking home but have you put your safety into consideration when designing your space? As crime rates increase, it’s always best to ensure that your home is safe. Install smoke detectors and security systems in your home along with planned exit strategies in the event of an emergency.
3. Take décor risks
While it’s best to play it safe in terms of security, we suggest you take risks when it comes to décor decisions. Have fun with colour and give bright and bold hues a go. Statement colours and décor pieces can change the entire dynamic of your space, giving it fun or dramatic feel.
4. Make comfort a priority
This year we suggest you put the comfort of your space above the need to be trendy and cool. Even if a furniture piece doesn’t blend with the aesthetic of your home, as long as you find it comfortable, we say buy it. After a long day out and about, coming home to a comfortable space trumps one that is trendy.
5. Go green
As always, we encourage homeowners to bring a little of the outdoors, indoors with the addition of plants. Adding nature to your home will not only give the space life but also upgrade the quality of your life. Your task this year should be to buy plants and keep them alive for the rest of the year. Don’t know which plants to buy? Read up on indoor plants you can’t kill, edible indoor plants, and plants that help with air circulation.